Johnny Jet's Travel Blog

Travel blog featuring best travel sites, travel deals, travel guides, effective travel tips, daily stories with up-to-date travel information, travel pictures, travel webcams. For more, visit my travel portal, www.johnnyjet.com.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

NYC’s Tribute in Light


A behind-the-scenes look at NYC’s Tribute in Light. The Tribute in Light is an art installation of two vertical columns of light that can be seen from up to 60 miles away on a clear night. They first appeared in 2003 in remembrance of the September 11th, 2001 attacks. For the last several years, the lights shine from dusk to dawn each 9/11, a solid reminder of what the victims, heroes and our country went through on that fateful day. (I was in New York City that day and lost a good high school friend.)

Thanks to a friend, I was given a tour by one of the masterminds of the Italian lighting firm, which is behind the project. It turns out there are 88 lights in total, 44 for each column. The closer I got, the more it felt like I was in a Batman or Spiderman movie. It became even more surreal when I ducked in between them and went into the center to see all 44 lights shooting up to make one incredible beam. Fortunately, I wasn't stupid enough to look directly into the lights. My friend Dr. Giammaria later told me in his thick Italian accent that if I had, I'd have had serious problems in about two hours (Gulp! That meant permanent blindness.) In my opinion, the best view seemed to be a few miles away where you could really get the whole feeling.

Good news! According to Jaunted.com (http://bit.ly/clWFlk) the Tribute is back for the ninth anniversary.


Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home